Schools can help promote a positive learning environment by providing healthy celebrations.
There are many benefits of healthy celebrations:
- Better learning.
- Reinforces what students are learning in the classroom.
- Fosters a school environment that supports healthy living.
- Creates excitement about healthy eating.
- Protects children with food allergies.
- Shows parents and the larger school community that the school is interested in the health of its students.
Here are some easy, healthy ways to reinvent a party:
- Shift the focus from ‘Food’ to ‘Fun’.
- Organize a scavenger hunt related to the party theme.
- Plan special party games and activities.
- Celebrate the occasion with outdoor activities and games such as hopscotch, jump rope and tag.
- Have students decorate a plant pot and plant seeds.
- Go for a class walk and sing songs with the students.
- Set up craft stations.
Celebrate with Healthy Party Snacks:
- Fruit smoothies
- Fruit kabobs
- Vegetable and fruit trays
- Whole grain crackers and cheese
- Hummus served with vegetables or pita wedges
Schools, students and parents can work together to ensure school celebrations are healthy.