Most poisonings of children under the age of five occur at home. There are many products in your home that can be poisonous to children and pets if not used or stored properly. These include such things as medications and household chemical products e.g. bleach and abrasive cleaners. Even a small amount of chemical product can be harmful or toxic to a child.
Here are some tips to prevent poisonings:
- Keep cosmetics, detergents, plant food, cleaners, medicines and vitamins completely out of the reach of children in a high cabinet or cupboard. Child resistant does not mean child proof. Child resistant containers only provide a temporary barrier and may still be opened by a child if given enough time.
- Use childproof latches on your cupboards.
- Safely store pesticides, insect repellant, antifreeze and windshield wash in a safe place out of reach and out of sight. Indoor and outdoor plants, bulbs and seeds and some berries can also be poisonous.
- Keep products in their original containers. The label provides important information on what to do in case of an emergency.
- Keep purses, bags and luggage out of your child’s reach; including those belonging to visitors in your home.
- Teach young children how to recognize hazardous household products by identifying hazard symbols on product containers. Help them understand that the symbols mean Danger, Do not touch!
If you have a question about your child’s health, call:
Poison Information Centre: 709-722-1110 – Toll-free 1-866-727-1110
811 Health Line (Newfoundland and Labrador) – call 811, 709-722-1126 or Toll-free 1-866-722-1126