Postpartum depression (PPD) is a depression that happens within one year of having a baby. PPD affects about 13 per cent of mothers and is different than the “baby blues.”
Symptoms of postpartum depression include:
- persistent feelings of sadness and the inability to feel pleasure
- trouble sleeping
- weight changes
- feeling agitated
- excessive feelings of worthlessness or guilt
- decreased ability to concentrate
Like the “baby blues,” postpartum depression is caused by a change in hormones after pregnancy, miscarriage or stillbirth. It can happen to any woman.
There are some things you can do to help take care of yourself during the postpartum period.
- Get as much sleep and rest as possible.
- Eat well and exercise.
- Take advantage of support from family and friends.
- Heed the warning signs and seek help when you need it.
You have a greater chance of developing PPD if you:
- had depression or anxiety during pregnancy
- have a family history of depression
- experienced depression earlier in your life
- have recently gone through stressful life events
It’s very important to get treatment for depression. The sooner you get treated, the sooner you’ll feel better and enjoy your baby.
Services related to this information:
- DoorWays rapid ‘one session at a time’ counselling services.
- Bridge the gApp
Newfoundland and Labrador’s ‘go-to’ website for mental health information. Bridge the gApp offers self-help resources, links to local services, and invites people to share their personal stories. Bridge the gApp is free of cost and available to every resident in the province. The site is divided into adult and youth sections, however many services are appropriate for both.
- Mental health and addictions system navigator – 709-752-3916 or toll-free at 1-877-999-7589
- Mental Health Crisis Line – 709-737-4668 / 1-888-737-4668
A free, confidential service for individuals, family and friends. The crisis line is province-wide, 24 hours a day.
- 811 HealthLine (Newfoundland & Labrador) – Call 811 or 1-888-709-2929 / TTY 1-888-709-3555