Eating a variety of vegetables and fruits is an important part of a healthy eating pattern and may lower your risk of heart disease.
According to Canada’s Food Guide, a healthy eating pattern works to:
- Help you feel good
- Maintain your health & reduce risk of chronic disease
- Provide vitamins and minerals to meet your nutritional needs
Vegetables and fruits come in many forms, such as fresh, frozen, and canned.
Frozen and canned vegetables and fruits:
- Are just as nutritious as fresh vegetables and fruits
- Are a healthy and convenient option
- Take little time to prepare
- Often cost less than fresh vegetables and fruits
Canada’s Food Guide recommends:
- Trying to make half (50%) of your plate vegetables and fruit
- Including plenty of vegetables and fruits with your meals and snacks
- Choosing different textures, colours, and shapes to fit your taste
For more information on vegetables and fruits, visit: https://www.gov.nl.ca/healthyeating/veggiesandfruit/.
Services related to this information: