More and more people are using all-terrain vehicles (ATVs) as recreational vehicles. If you are planning to use an ATV, you should be aware of the legislation in Newfoundland and Labrador. You should also follow ATV safety practices at all times.
The law in this province says:
- A person must be 16 to operate an adult size ATV (over 90cc).
- A person aged 14 or 15 can operate an ATV up to and including 90cc, if accompanied and supervised by a person 19 years of age or older.
- A person under 14 years of age is not permitted to operate any size ATV.
Reduce ATV injuries through these safety practices:
- Wear an approved helmet with face and eye protection.
- Drive sober – alcohol, drugs and ATVs don’t mix.
- Refuse to carry or be a passenger on an ATV that is built for one person.
- Complete an approved ATV training course.
For more information on ATV safety awareness campaigns and legislation, check out the Service NL ATV Safety website.