Winter is a great time of the year to have fun in the great outdoors. But to enjoy winter you must dress for the weather.
Here are some tips:
- Wear clothes that are warm enough for the outside temperature. Exposure to the cold can be hazardous or even life-threatening.
- Check the weather forecast and wind chill before going outside and keep your body well covered. Wear mittens/gloves, hats and waterproof boots that fit well to prevent frostnip or frostbite (freezing of the skin caused by prolonged exposure to cold).
- Wear layers of winter clothing; several thin layers keep you warmer than one thick layer of clothing.
- Wear windproof and waterproof outer layers and a hat to prevent heat loss from your head.
- Remove wet clothing or footwear immediately. Hypothermia can be caused by too little clothing and/or wet clothing.
- Wear sunscreen even in winter. The sun’s rays can still be harmful.