Healthy eating on a budget can be a challenge for many families in Newfoundland and Labrador due to limited access, availability and cost. However, with careful meal planning, grocery shopping and cooking, affordable healthy eating is possible.
Here some tips to save money and eat well:
1. Look for Sales
- Check flyers, mobile apps and websites before you shop to see what is on sale.
- Use coupons to save on items you need to buy.
2. Plan Ahead
- Use Canada’s Food Guide to plan meals and snacks.
- Include food you already have on hand and those that are on sale.
3. Make a list
- Make a list of food you need to buy for the meals and snacks you have planned.
- Keep an ongoing grocery list on the fridge to write down items when you run out.
4. Stick to your list
- Buy only food you really need or will use. A sale item is an added expense
- Try not to shop when you are hungry to avoid impulse items
For more information on affordable healthy eating, please see the resources section on the right.