Schools can help promote a positive learning environment by providing healthy celebrations.
There are many benefits of healthy celebrations:
- Better learning.
- Reinforces what students are learning in the classroom.
- Fosters a school environment that supports healthy living.
- Creates excitement about healthy eating.
- Protects children with food allergies.
- Shows parents and the larger school community that the school is interested in the health of its students.
Shift the focus from ‘Food’ to ‘Fun’. Here are some easy, healthy ways to reinvent a party:
- Organize a scavenger hunt related to the party theme.
- Plan special party games and activities.
- Celebrate the occasion with outdoor activities and games such as hopscotch, jump rope and tag.
- Have students decorate a plant pot and plant seeds.
- Go for a class walk and sing songs with the students.
- Set up craft stations.
Celebrate with healthy party snacks:
- Fruit smoothies with frozen fruit,
- Fruit kabobs,
- Vegetable and fruit trays,
- Whole grain crackers and cheese,
- Hummus served with vegetables or pita wedges.
Schools, students and parents can work together to ensure school celebrations are healthy.
Services related to this information: